I was born and raises in Texas. The way I see it, that's the way it should be for every boy. My apologies to anyone who did not have this amazing experience. I have lived in the same house since I was one years old, and now love going back to visit. As you can imagine, I have a lot of my childhood memories there. We are also blessed to have many of the same neighbors for all these years, so it truly has been a very stable place to grow up.
I grew to love the outdoors. I could always find something to do outside, from sports, to riding bikes, to working in the yard; I loved it. There is a creek behind our house, and it happened to connect with two of my best friends homes. It was a fun place to play. I was outside so much in fact that in my pre teen years my mom would tell me i smelled like the "great outdoors"! (rachel sometimes says the same thing to this day). I grew to love the heat, and still enjoy being outside as much as possible. During college, I enjoyed 110 degree heat during two a days, and always could rely on Barton Springs if it did get to warm for comfort. On a hot day, it will still be the same chilly 68 degrees. Or you could find me on Lake Austin, where I could be found wakeboarding, sun tanning in a cove, or, far too often, trying to get my boat running again while stranded in the middle of the lake.
Growing up, I did a couple of things every summer. These things included going to church camp at Mt. Lebanon with First Baptist Dallas Church, travel to Hattiesburg Mississippi to visit my grandparents, attend a soccer camp of some sort, and go to South Padre Island for the last week of summer. I have great memories doing all of these things, and spending time with family was always enjoyable.
I went to Garland High School, where I played golf, tennis, soccer, and football. I enjoyed all of the sports, but decided to pursue football in college. I walked on the University of Texas football team my first year, and was able to stick it out for five of the most rewarding years of my life.
I am so excited about entering this new phase of my life, taking Rachel as my bride and California as my new home. I am excited about what God has in store for Rachel and me in these next couple of very special years.
Wednesday, March 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment